Admission of students
A student seeking admission to any class in a ‘School’ will be eligible for admission to that Class only if he/she:
- Has been studying in a School recognized by or affiliated to this Board or any other recognized Board of Secondary Education in India;
- Has passed qualifying or equivalent qualifying examination making him eligible for admission to that Class;
- Satisfies the requirements of age limits (minimum and maximum) as determined by the State/U. T. Government and applicable to the place where the School is located;
- The School Leaving Certificate/Transfer Certificate signed by the Head of the Institution last attended and countersigned, if required as provided elsewhere, in these Byelaws;
- Document(s) in support of his having passed the qualifying or equivalent qualifying examination; and
- *Date of Birth Certificate issued by the Registrar of Birth and Deaths, where-ever existing, as proof of date of birth.
- A person who has been studying in an institution, which is not recognized by this Board or by any other recognized Board of Secondary Education or by the State/ U.T. Government of the concerned place, shall not be admitted to any class of a “School” on the basis of Certificate(s) of such unrecognized institution attended by him earlier.
- ‘Qualifying Examination’ for the purposes of this Byelaws means an examination the passing of which makes a student eligible for admission to a particular class; and ‘equivalent examination’ means an examination conducted by any recognized Board of Secondary Education/Indian University or an institution recognized by or affiliated to such Board/University and is recognized by this Board equivalent to the corresponding examination conducted by this Board or conducted by a “school” affiliated to/recognized by this Board.
- No student migrating from a School in a foreign country, other than the School affiliated to this Board, shall be eligible for admission unless an eligibility certificate in respect of such a student has been obtained from this Board. For obtaining eligibility certificate from the Board, the Principal of the School to which admission is being sought will submit to the Board full details of the case and relevant documents with his own remarks/recommendations. The eligibility certificate will be issued by the Board only after the Board is satisfied that the course of study undergone and examination passed is equivalent to the corresponding class of this Board.
- No person who is under the sentence of rustication or is expelled from any Board/University/ School or is debarred from appearing in the examination for whatever reason by any Board/ University shall be admitted to any class in a School affiliated to this Board.
- No student shall be admitted or promoted to any subsequent higher class in any school unless he has completed the regular course of study of the class to which he was admitted at the beginning of the academic session and has passed the examination, at the end of the concerned academic session, qualifying him for promotion to the next higher class.
Admissions up to Class VIII (i.e. Class VIII and below) shall be regulated by the rules, regulations, orders of the State/U.T. Governments applicable to the place where the School is located.
- Admission register in the form prescribed by the State Government concerned/Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan/Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti as the case may be shall be maintained by the “School” where the name of every student joining “the School” shall be entered.
- Successive numbers must be allotted to students on their admission and each student should retain this number throughout the whole of his career in the school. A student returning to the school after absence of any duration shall resume his original admission number.
- If a student applying for admission to a school, has attended any other school, an authenticated copy of the Transfer certificate in the format given in Annexure I, from his last school must be produced before his name can be entered in the Admission Register.
- In no case shall a student be admitted into a class higher than that for which he is entitled according to the transfer certificate.
- A student shall not be allowed to migrate from one “School” to another during the session after his name has been sent up for the examination of the Board. This condition may be waived only in special circumstances by the Chairman.
- A student leaving his school at the end of a session or who is permitted to leave his school during the session shall on a payment of all dues, receive an authenticated copy of the Transfer certificate up to date. A duplicate copy may be issued if the head of the institution is satisfied that the original is lost but it shall always be so marked.
- In case a student from an institution not affiliated to the Board seeks admission in a school affiliated to the Board, such a student shall produce a transfer certificate duly countersigned by an authority as indicated in the format given in Annexure-I.
- If the statement made by the parent or guardian of a student or by the student himself/herself, if he/she was major at the time of his/her admission to a school, is found to contain any willful misrepresentation of facts regarding the student’s career, the head of the institution may punish him/her as per provision of the Education Act of the State/Union Territory or Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan/Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti rules, as the case may be, respectively and report the matter to the Board.